We are looking for an experienced design leader with wide agency experience from supporting a team to pitching for and delivering projects. We are keen to develop our UX maturity across the company. We are looking for someone who is a UX champion and who can bring the benefits of design thinking to more of our work.
We are a committed software company based in the centre of Oxford. We have expanded from just 2 people in 1989 to over 100 today. Throughout, we have kept our interest in software that makes a useful contribution to society. We develop custom software in health, research and engineering, while our products are used to manage the delivery of social care. We maintain this emphasis in our culture as we continue to grow.
We are after someone with:
- Prior experience as a design leader of a reasonable size team. You are excited to use your experience to help an organisation scale design capability and maturity.
- Prior agency experience and experience of bidding and pitching for work. You have excellent client management and relationship building skills.
- A demonstrable track record of successfully delivering/enabling exciting and challenging design projects/programmes.
About the role
Develop and manage our Design Team:
We currently have one in-house UX designer. We also make use of a network of contractors and external design studios when needed. We’re keen to grow both our permanent team, and wider network, and aim to bring more specialist roles in-house.
- Resource allocation of the designers for internal and client projects.
- Identifying skills gaps and driving the recruitment of new hires and contractors in response to business demands and growth strategy.
- Ensuring the successful operation of a mentoring, coaching and training approach within the Design Team.
- Communicate the value the design team brings to the rest of company.
- Directly managing and taking responsibility for the careers of our designers.
Pre-sales & Communication Skills:
- Communicate the value of design in new business activities: proposal writing; project scoping and presentations.
- Present articulately and explain design concepts to clients (some of whom may be inexperienced in design, or sceptical of the value).
- Knowledge to provide estimates and plans for design activities, and work with the team to refine them.
- In-depth knowledge of UCD techniques, understanding when and where to apply them.
- A UX expert who can lead from the front with large, complex projects when needed.
- Knowledge of the tools and processes underpinning strong design (e.g., sketches, user-flows, user journeys, site-maps, wireframes, blueprints, prototypes, hi-fi design, design-systems, etc)
- Knowledge of frequent/impactful design-related issues (find-ability, usability, etc) and best-practices to tackle them.
- A commitment to, and knowledge of accessible, universal design theory and practice.
- Strong awareness/experience of the value of User Research within the design community.
- Experience in ensuring design quality on projects that you are not directly working on and knowledge on how to scale those processes.
- A strong advocate of design quality within a business setting, understanding where this gives the best value to clients.
- Understand aspects of product/business lifecycle and where/how design can deliver value.
We really value the quality of our working life at OCC. Take a look at the benefits of working at OCC.
Due to the nature of our work with local government clients, please note that we request a standard DBS check as part of our recruitment process.
How to apply:
If you are interested, we’d love to hear from you! We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
Please note when applying for this role, we require you to upload a copy of a portfolio or examples of your work.